Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Greetings Families,

I am can not express how happy I am to see each one of your children's smiling faces this Tuesday morning!

First off I would like to start by saying thank you for those that sold cookie dough! If your student did not bring back their cookie dough money it is now due!

I have had several questions about retaking what looks like a test grade in ELA. Unfortunately this is your students independent reading journal. Everyday we have an independent reading time in our classroom. While they are reading they are suppose to keep their journal next to them. In the journal you have two sections that are used during reading. I myself tabbed each students journals to insure that they would not get confused on where to put certain information. I also showed the students how to set up their reading log and questions for each day we read.

In the first section of their journal they have a reading log. The reading log consists of the date, the title of the book they are reading, the author of the book, and the page numbers they read during independent reading time. The second section is their questions section. Each day I post a question in my own journal up on the board that the students have to answer during their reading. In this section they are to write the date, the question, and answer the question within two to five sentences. In order to make sure they do not forget to write down the question I stop the students seven to five minutes before reading time ends to complete their question.

If for some reason your student was out a day or did not complete the question I have them written down daily in my own journal. Students know that they may come ask me for my journal to refer back to. The journal is to help them stay focused and organized during their reading while also using reading strategies to answer the question provided for the day. I hope this answers any questions you may have about the journal but also understand why they can not "retake" this as it is apart of them staying organized.

Looking Forward:

Monday: No School

Tuesday: Fundraiser money due

Wednesday: Map Testing

Thursday: Map Testing

Friday: Beta Club induction, Reading test (reviewed in class together), Water Cycle Quiz


If you have not sent in the permission form for the field trip on September 27th please do so as soon as you can. Also, turn in money for t-shirts and field trip if you have not done so already!

We have a busy week this week! I hope you all have a wonderful week! Please contact me if you have any further questions!

-A. Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment